Sunday, January 8, 2012

spring reading list

During school, the required reading was one of the things I dreaded the most. Which is a shame because I absolutely love to read. Since my high school days are LONG gone, I can read whatever I choose. A perk of being a "grown up." Here are a few of my recent faves which come highly recommended.

THE HELP by KATHRYN STOCKETT: Usually all it takes is a lot of hype about a book to make me NOT want to read it. But I'm glad that didn't stop me from reading The Help. It's a quick, feel-good read. It made me cry. It made me smile. It made me want to share with every reader I know. Seriously, do yourself a favor and read this book. I STILL have not seen the movie...

CATCHING FIRE by SUZANNE COLLINS: Another big hype, book-to-movie. BW and I started the first book of the series, The Hunger Games, on tape during a road trip and I was hooked. I whipped through the first book in no time at all and I had to wait until I had some uninterrupted beach time this past summer to dive into the other two. While I love the books, I have one major problem... I don't love the main character, Katniss. I'm I the only one? That's my only complaint and it didn't stop me from reading the books. It won't stop me from seeing the movie. I love Jennifer Lawrence, so hopefully she'll change my mind about Katniss.

MOCKINGJAY by SUZANNE COLLINS: Book numero tres in The Hunger Games series. Check. (Full disclosure: it wasn't until months after finishing the second book that I finished the third. Wedding planning took over reading time.)

MEDIUM RAW by ANTHONY BOURDAIN: This was a Christmas gift (last year) from BW and I'm a little embarrassed that it took me so long to actually finish it. I absolutely love Anthony Bourdain. Sure he can be a little crude, but that's waht I love about him. And I'm sure we would be fast friends. Maybe it's our shared hatred of Rachael Ray (my heart breaks a little every time I hear her say "EVOO" or "sammie".) His wit, sarcasm and passion for food is evident with the turn of every page.

BOSSYPANTS by TINA FEY: I love Tina Fey/want to be bff with Tina Fey. My real-life bff gave me this audiobook. And yes, I probably terrified other drivers while laughing hysterically in my car. By myself. If you've ever almost peed your pants while watching 30 Rock or ACTUALLY peed your pants while watching 30 Rock  (this has never happened to me. I'm just saying...) or even if you just appreciate good, dry humor, Tina's your gal.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO by STIEG LARSSON: Another book to movie. Are you seeing the trend? I'm currently reading this one right now. Borrowed from a co-worker (whose sweet father had given to her complete with a post-it note that read "Read this one first." Gotta' love dads.) It sat on my beside table for months and since I told BW I would not see the movie until I'd read the book, I had to jump to it. Very dark, but oh-so-good!

No comments:

Post a Comment