Thursday, January 19, 2012

giving tree

Although the holidays have come and gone, I thought I would share this idea for an easy DIY hostess gift that can really be given during any time of the year. I whipped these up as a hostess gift for a wedding shower we had in early December, but like mentioned, who wouldn't want to receive no matter the time of year? I used a rosemary tree, but during the warmer months you could swap rosemary for basil or another herb.

{ what you'll need }

  • 1 potted herb

  • burlap

  • ribbon

  • gift tags

  • upholstery "t" pins

  • scissors


If your plant is wrapped in paper, use your scissors to trim the paper to the top of the pot. I did not want to remove it completely, because I did not want any moisture to soak through to the burlap.

Cut a square of burlap large enough to wrap around the pot.

Wrap burlap around pot and push the upholstery pins in to the soil to secure the burlap. This is crucial to make the burlap look pretty! Without the pins it just ended up looking like a big wadded mess.

Secure with a ribbon and personalized tag and voila! What I love most about this gift is it's something the receiver can use - it looks perfect sitting on a windowsill and they can pinch off a little bit and toss in to their cooking. You could even include a delicious recipe using the herb.

No comments:

Post a Comment